Sunday, June 21, 2009

Part UFO, Part new, ALL nice!

This jacket part of this ensemble was another UFO that I finished up. Of all things all it needed was to have the sleeve linings finished...
wool blend fashion fabric with iron on interfacing all over and a fun lining.

I recently wore the jacket on a trip and was doing some shopping at the Pittsburgh Airport while waiting for a flight delay. (this airport basically has a full mall in it!) the Tie rack was having a blow out sale on all woman's scarves and as I was browsing the store manager came up to me and gave me such wonderful compliments on my 'Chanel' look. I was thrilled :)

The top and skirt is a new project that I whipped up from New Look 6735.
I like this pattern, easy to work with and since it is for knits I can whip it up on my serger in no time! The only thing that I will try changing the next time I make it is removing the back seam. It is only slightly shaped and I don't think it is needed on this style shirt.

The belt was from my stash, I actually bought it quite a few years ago to be used with a pirate Halloween costume.

Nice looking outfit! Great for travel and meeting with customers.

This project is from a larger project idea that I had to put together several separates that I could use while traveling for work. I often have to travel several days in a row and I often try to coordinate my color palate and style so that I can minimize my accessories and still look good! (and keep the suitcase lighter!)
My color/texture/fabric palate to work with

Project bin

I first assembled my fabrics at various lengths. I buy fabric because I like it and have a rough idea how much yardage I need for different pieces and then figure out a pattern later. The color palate I went with here is teals and browns. I also like to use a 'project' basket where I pull all the necessary items from the various places in my sewing room and put them all in one place. I find this makes it easier for me when working on the project, I don't get myself distracted looking for things.

I have several more pieces that I am planning to add to the collection. A dress, a pair of knit pants and a short sleeved shirt. So far I am quite happy with how it has turned out.

No comments:

Post a Comment

comments, thoughts, idea? Please share!