Thursday, January 2, 2014

First project of 2014! Maxi beach/bathing suit cover-up


Woo-Hoo!!! First project of the year is done. It feels nice to be on a good start:)

For 2014 I have accepted the challenge to not purchase any ready to wear clothing for the entire year! With the exception of panties, bras and socks. There is a button on the side bar of my blog, check it out.

I was going to work on a new bathing suit today, however due to all the snow I'm pretty much stuck in the house for the day! And I need to pick up supplies. I'll pick another project...

More about the beach cover-up.

My husband and I are headed on holiday in a couple of weeks! I found that I needed a nicer beach cover up that I could slip on and wear to a beach restaurant and look/feel nice in. 

I used McCalls 5890 view E, a princess seamed dress that I lengthened to a maxi. 


This fabric was a REAL challenge to work with. It is a Missoni-like nylon open knit that I really had to do quite a few test sample on before I found the best seams and edge finishing. I finally ended up doing the entire project on my serger with a 4 thread overlock stitch with differential feed and with each thread in a different color. This helped to blend the seams better through the see-through knit. On the shoulders I ended up using clear elastic to stabilize the seam. But what a process! Ay my serger I had a piece of tissue paper, clear elastic and then the fabric front and back. This was the only was I could get a nice looking seam. :)

Another challenge of this fabric was how to use it, I mean really, this is a huge in your face print and color! Ideally I would have like to have matched each of those giant chevrons across the side and princess seams. However, it would have taken double the yardage to do that with a ton of waste. Plus it would have been cost prohibitive especially for a beach coverup!

the only change to the pattern was the length. I wanted a maxi!

The edge finishes also took quite a bit of testing. The pattern says to fold over and stitch. This looked quite like a nightmare! These teeny tiny nylon fibers kept getting caught on the feed dogs and it was messy. I finally ended up using a three thread narrow hem overlock stitch. It still ended up slightly wonky in some parts of the armhole but I'll take it! It looks a thousands time worse on the dress form, not very noticeable when it is on.


Happy 2014! Chicagoland is welcoming 2014 with a great big snow storm!



8 comments:

  1. The pattern is a wonderful one and I so hope it is a current one. I have to laugh as I saw your beachwear and we are watching a heavy snow coming down.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nancy, Yes, I do believe you can still get this pattern! It is quite a versatile one to have.

      Delete
  2. You are very creative to whip this pattern up into a summer cover-up ~ it will be brilliant on a beach holiday! I too had to wonder at the bathing suit/snow connection ... the weather is wild everywhere ... J

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Judith! I was laughing to myself as we have 12+ inches of snow and bitterly cold temps! I am very mush looking forward to going to Costa Rica in 2 weeks.... Ahhhhhh!

      Delete
  3. You did a great job with the fabric! I think this will be a summer staple for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank You Annie! It was fun to work with a different fabric and figure it out.

      Delete
  4. It came together beautifully, even if it was hard to get the right stitch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank You Laura! Patience and perseverance paid off in this project.

      Delete

I would love to hear what you think about my projects!