On the sewing front I worked on Vogue 1289 Pamella Roland Designer dress. This is for my daughter for her to wear to the wedding reception they are having in Chicago. She decided that since this reception is more of a party that she wanted a party dress and asked me to make her one. Yay!!
A couple weeks ago I did a full set of measurements on her and this weekend I finally had a nice block of time to trace off the pattern and get a muslin made. I knew a muslin would have to be made because the dress is not straight forward. The skirt is cut in one giant piece for front and back and shaped with a bunch of pleats and only a single seam at center back. The bodice also had much of its shaping from pleats and overlapping panels. However, the bodice had no provisions for shortening and my daughter is petite. So muslin in hand we had our first fitting, which I of course forgot to snap some pictures! The bodice needed shortening all around. So I pinched out fabric and pinned, I also took in the side seams starting at the armsyche and tapering to nothing at the waist seam and I added a small bust dart on the right front for better fit.
muslin number one
The skirt fit beautifully! We only decided to slightly shorten the length so it hit right at the knee.
Bodice with all of the changes pinned on it and removed from the skirt
Last night I transferred all the changes back to the flat pattern and cut a new muslin bodice and sewed it up and attached it to the skirt. Tonight we will have fitting number 2. Hopefully this one is good and I can move on to the challenging part of translating all of the changes to the lining pieces. I only say challenging because this is one of those patterns that has fairly different lining pieces than the fashion fabric. For instance the skirt lining is cut more like a regular pencil skirt with darts and side seams and the bodice lining does not have all of the overlaps.
Muslin number 2 ready to tried on and checked tonight!
I also made a very exciting (can you sense the sarcasm???) crinoline for my gown that I am wearing to the wedding. I was seriously not paying 60$ at David's Bridal for one. Not when all I needed to purchase was the tulle netting everything else I had in my stash and it took me maybe 2 hours to do (gathering the layers of tulle took the longest). I will try this on with my dress tonight and adjust the length if needed. And in case you were wondering my dress is blue ;)
Isn't it always nice to show up at a party and see someone wearing something you made for them??? That happened to me yesterday. My daughter and I had a baby shower to attend and the soon to be daddy was wearing a long sleeve tee that I embroidered for him as a Christmas gift this year. I was tickled pink to see him in it! The embroidery is an Urban Threads design called Seven Seas- Tiger Tattoo.
And last but not least..... We had a big homemade italian dinner at the pants of the flower girl yesterday! It sure w fun to share a big Sunday evening meal and yummmmm, homemade pasta, sauce and meatballs! We also go too see the flower girl in her dress and finalize jewelry and hair design. She was the last of the bridal party to get her little thank you gift from the bride. This little one was so excited with her gifts. :)
Of course I have several other projects lined up and ready to go! I even have a machine embroidery project that I am experimenting with and if all turns out good will show you soon.
- Posted by Steph from Siouxzeegirl Designs