Sunday, July 7, 2013

Machine embroidery with Urban Threads Blackthorn

I have been working on this project for a while now. It was the perfect project to set my embroidery machine humming along to while I worked on other things in my sewing studio.

I have seen variations if this idea done and I decided to give it my own spin.

This black shirt has been languishing in my closet for a while, I'm not even sure why I purchased it or where! I just know that when I am wearing it I feel like I'm in a uniform of some sorts hence why it has been languishing in the back of the closet.
Boring, uniform ish looking shirt, sigh.

I spruced it up just to fit my style.!!



A trip to the local Jo-Ann fabrics for a yard of black poly organza was all that I needed. The black poly was hooped up with some wash a way stabilizer on the back (wet-n-gone) and a water soluble topper. Bobbins were wound with the same black embroidery thread and I stitched away using Urban Threads Blackthorn designs.




I stitched up 4 designs, washed all the stabilizer away, zig zag stitched them onto the shirt and then cut away the shirt from behind. Just like a reverse appliqué. I made a large round for the back, the wedge for the lower left and drape and drape mirrored for the upper front shoulders. The hardest part about the entire project was making sure to position the shoulder pieces symmetrically.






Great progress has been made this weekend on the Vogue 1289! I only have to hem it and and any hand beaded embellishments. It will stay as is on the hanger for a couple weeks. When we get back from the wedding I will have almost 2 weeks before the reception in Chicago to have it completed. At least I can head on out to Idaho for the wedding without worrying about it! I will do a full review/reveal on it after the reception.

- Posted by Steph from Siouxzeegirl designs.

Location:Lisle, IL

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear what you think about my projects!