Thursday, October 31, 2013

Off to see the Wizard! Halloween Fun


This past weekend we had our annual Halloween Party! This years theme was the Wizard of Oz. We all had a great time and the party went late into the night!

There were some very imaginative costumes :)

One girl came as the tornado! she won our costume contest! My son-in-law was the tin man!



Another couple came as the black and white version of Aunty Em and Uncle Henry. 


My husband was the house, he actually made a 'House' hat with the witches legs coming out like pigtails.


I was Glinda and my costume was a refashion from a thrift store purchase. The dress was a long column dress with long sleeves and a high neck made out of a white and silver brocade. I removed the sleeves and remade them into a belt. I also used a reverse appliqué technique to make a sweetheart neckline out of sliver mesh. For this I drew the lines on the dress, overplayed the mesh and used a zigzag to sew along the lines, along the armholes and the neckline. Then I serged off a bit of chain using sliver chunky thread in the loopers and maid my own braid to couch along the sweetheart bustline. The armholes were serge finished in the silver thread.

To make the over skirt I used 5 yards of the silver mesh, folded it over length wise with the longer portion going to ankle length and the shorter side about to the knees. I sewed a casing about 1 1/2 inches wide and inserted elastic. Easy peasy. Not the most flattering of costumes but I hade a total make it work evening and did the entire thing the evening before in 3 hours! The crown and wand were handmaid using various supplies that were in my sewing room.


No comments:

Post a Comment

comments, thoughts, idea? Please share!