Friday, October 12, 2018

Working on my Hong Kong travel wardrobe

Planning a travel wardrobe is always fun! I think it is especially so when you get to create exactly what you want.

This upcoming tip to Hong Kong is very exciting for me! The first half of the trip is with the American Sewing Guild, the Sew much fun- Hong Kong. The second half of the trip is a continuation of Hong Kong only this portion is going to be solo.

From start to finish is a total of 13 calendar days. However, due to crossing the international date line it works out to 12 days with 2 of those basically travel days.

To plan for this trip I started with the following ideas:

  • Travel with a carryon suitcase and backpack- No checked bags on the way there.
  • Plus 1 Stash-It backpack  and a re-usable tote for market shopping 
  • All garments need to be multi-purpose and mix and match or planned to wear 2 or more times.
  • Coming home I will be checking a bag (FABRIC SHOPPING!)
Once I had those main ideas defined I started thinking about the actual garment mix. 
this is sort of what I am working towards: (not including undergarments and PJ's)
  • 5 tops plus 1 light jacket
  • 4 bottoms- 3 pants and 1 skirt or 2 pants and 2 skirts
  • 2 or 3 dresses

I then decided upon a color scheme- Black/Grey with pops of white and yellow. 

With a color scheme in hand I pulled fabrics from my collection, took photos and started sketching. More detail on this in this POST- Sketching a travel wardrobe. 

From today I have 46 days until the trip! Yikes its coming up quickly :)

Time to share what I have sewn up so far.
I still have more things to sew. Specifically the bottoms and the dresses and jacket. We shall see how much I get done! It will be interesting to see what the final wardrobe ends up being!

TOP 1: Modified Jen Stern tee
Fabric from Fabrications
Lightweight washable waffle texture wool knit. Very dark black and so soft!
Photo lightened to see details.
Still needs hemming

TOP 2: Modified Jen Stern tee
Fabric from Sawyer Brook
A wonderful rayon/lycra knit.


 TOP 3: My own design- princess seam top with ruched sleeves
Silk crepe-de-chine with a touch of lycra from Emmaonesock.



 TOP 4- Modified version of Butterick 6291
Can be worn as a top or as a wrap
The stripe is a rayon/lycra knit from Fabrications.
The black is a bamboo knit (dont remember where from!)


TOP 5- Master knit Tee
Washable lightweight wool knit with yellow hearts applique 
and fun neckline
Fabric from Fabrications.


PJ's/louging outfit
Top: master tee oversized
Bottom: Avery Leggings
Fabric- black bamboo knit with yelloow featherwight rib knit.


 Bottom 1: Skirt
lighweight denim with a fun print.
Fabric from Janet Pray

DO you sew for your vacation holidays?

Happy Sewing!!

Princess Victoria and my dad, her great grandpa, deep in discussion on the rocking chairs!

1 comment:

  1. You have the makings of a great wardrobe there. Enjoy Hong Kong. I've never been but rather fancy going.

    ReplyDelete

comments, thoughts, idea? Please share!