Friday, September 28, 2018

In The Sketchbook- September 2018- Sketching a travel Wardrobe

Welcome to In the Sketchbook, a monthly look at fashion design sketches that we are working on for ourselves. Sketching garments on a personal croquis is a great way for the individual couture enthusiast to move beyond the use of commercial patterns and into a world of personalized design! It can be intimidating at first, but with a little bit of practice it becomes something you look forward to. Join us for a look of what we have going on In the Sketchbook! Brought to you by Wendy Grossman of Couture Counsellor and Steph King from Siouxzeegirl Designs.

Sketching has really helped me in designing and sewing a small capsule wardrobe for work. I was get

As I have been contemplating and preparing for my trip to Hong Kong in late November my mind immediately went to what am I going to wear and what do I need to sew for my trip!

I started with picking a color palette and then to selecting fabrics and now I am in the midst of sketching and sewing. It is quite a fun and dynamic process and I am trying to keep it fun and dynamic and not stress myself out over it!

Color palette is black/grey/white with a pop of yellow. 


Many of the fabrics are right from my own collection and I purchased only a couple lengths of black for different pants and the faux leather for a jacket.

I started by thinking of how I wanted to pack for this trip and I am going to attempt to pack for 10 days in a carry-on. With the thought that I will purchase another bag in Hong Kong to bring back fabric in!! Eeeek!! I am so excited!
As of know the plan is for:
5 tops, 3 bottoms and 2 dresses. But... like I said this is a dynamic plan!

Here is what I have come up with so far!
This sketch is very similar to a dress that I already have in my closet.
 So, I am saving this for last!

A little fancier dress for evenings out at nice restaurants.

Polka dot skirt with a knit top.

Stretch silk blouse with black pants

Knit top with black/grey camouflage ponte pants

Knit top with polka dot skirt

Knit top with ponte jeans
Here is what I have come up with so far!
SO far the regular sketching has really helped me in both defining and refining my design ideas. However, I seem to be going backwards when it comes to sketching my arms and legs. The body parts that stick out of the clothes seem to defy my attempts! Good thing i'm only interested in the clothes!!

What fun things have you been sketching?


Make sure to stop by Wendy Grossman of Couture Counsellor to see what lovely sketches and ideas she is working on. Please feel free to share your sketches and ideas with us.


Happy Sketching!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

comments, thoughts, idea? Please share!