Monday, March 30, 2015

March MAGAM project: Butterick 6101

For my March MAGAM (Make A Garment A Month) project I decided to step into Spring with a new to me pattern. I wanted a transitional top that could be warm enough to wear under a light jacket and to be comfortable during damp and chilly spring days.

This garment fits the bill! It is also something out of my normal box and got my creative spring juices flowing. I have worn this twice since making it and it is very comfy and has fun pockets and great draping.

Butterick 6101 by Katherine Tilton

I was honestly very worried about this looking a bit like a potato sack... Due to the very nature of the garment and the nature of my bigger hips and butt I knew that the chest and arm portions would need to be more fitted. I did ALOT of flat pattern measurements and actually went down 2 sizes from the pattern recommendations for my measurements. This pattern has tons of design ease that would have just overwhelmed me and looked like a potato sack! 

The pattern recommends either a soft woven or a stable knit. I was going more for a big sweatshirty type of feel without the bulk so I used a maroon ponte knit from Fabric Mart and the print knit was leftover pieces from a light sweater knit from JoAnn's that I used for a dress a couple years ago. YAY!!! Finally used up some of those darn scraps I seem to hold onto forever!
I did not have enough of the patterned knit left to cut an entire sleeve so I had to be creative and piece a sleeve together. Hence the 2 inch strip down the center of that sleeve. 
I also changed up the collar a little bit. In my knit the wider collar band just looked funny so a made a narrower band for the neckline.

I really like this top! It's a bit quirky and different. I have some nice flowy rayon lengths in my fabric stash and may make the sleeveless version for the summer.


There are a couple fit issues that I may or may not try to figure out and do a second version of this knit top. It looks like there needs to be a bust dart or something. If you look right above the boob there is a triangle of extra fabric that folds out. It either needs a dart OR It may just be bunching because I need a little extra room over my bust to let the fabric fall better. 
The back armhole area also has some bunching... I will have to look in my fitting books to see if I can figure out why.
I also think that the sleeves could be taken in a smidge to have a closer fit, as you can see I made them into 3/4 length because at this time of the year I find myself pushing them up all the time anyway. 

This top goes well with skinny jeans or black leggings would be never better. 

All in all I think this March project was a hit! 

Happy Sewing :)

1 comment:

  1. I think it turned out fab! Like what you did with the sleeve. I'll have to get this back out of the envelope- I chickened out. But you've inspired me.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear what you think about my projects!