Friday, May 9, 2014

Simplicity 1653 Skull and Roses mock wrap dress

This is one of my TNT knit dress patterns! This is now the third time I have made this dress and it never gets old!!  
My friend Krystal and I dressed for a lunch outing and a play.

I wanted a new dress for spring and I had the PERFECT fabric for it :) a skull and roses print on a baby blue background cotton interlock knit. I saw this fabric used on another blog for a top and fell in love!  I just HAD to have 3 yards from Girl Charlie Fabrics (http://www.girlcharlee.com) I don't see it on the website anymore so they may have sold it out. But, they have many other very cool knit prints. 
Close up of the fabric.

The pattern is one that I like very much. It fits great and easy to make changes in style as well.
This time I used View B sleeve length, the shorter length (on my previous 2 makes I used a midi length) and I widened the skirt for a fuller silhouette. 
Make # 1 http://10sewingmachines.blogspot.com/2013/11/completed-simplicity-1653.html
Make # 2 I never did a full review, guess I was busy during the past winter holidays!! So here is a picture.  
Dress make #1 on the right in purple and dress make #2 on the left in black white and red.



For the skirt I widened the bottom hem 5 inches on the front and back at both side seams, effectively adding 20 inches to the bottom width and tapered to nothing at the waist area. I LOVE the look it gives this dress at the shorter length!!  

As far as pattern matching goes... I couldn't do any at all :( I only had just enough fabric at 3 yards to make the dress with less than quarter yard and little scraps left. Luckily, I don't think the non-pattern matching is not such a big deal with this print. It is nice since it is more of a random all over print placement. 





I think I will need to retire this pattern for a little while and try some of my new ones :) although, I love having a great TNT pattern in my pattern stash to reach for when I need a quick successful make.

I have one more finished garment to blog about. Next up on my work table is some work appropriate clothes.... Specifically moving back to pants again!

Happy Sewing!!

1 comment:

  1. Love this style on you. Nothing wrong with making up several versions of it especially when you know it fits well and it's flattering and the dresses you make out of it become you go to dresses. I say the more patterns and dresses like this the more the merrier LOL

    ReplyDelete

comments, thoughts, idea? Please share!