Monday, November 12, 2012

One for the dogs! A toy basket

This is really is a dog project! We had this totally ghetto looking paper bag serving as the repository for all the dog toys. The 2 big dogs had no problem sticking their heads in and pulling out the toys but the mini dachshund was out of luck. On top of that, it just looked bad.



See... That ugly paper bag in my living room....


I repurposed a basket that had an awful black and red striped liner. This basket was just sitting in a pile under a desk waiting patiently for a new life.







Basket in hand, I dug through my stash and found a remnant piece of tan/khaki linen. Perfect! I used the old liner for a pattern and had the new liner done lickity split. But it was boring. I decided to play with some of the embroidery stitches on my machine. I stitched all around the outside. Better... Then I decided to add a flap with an appliqué of 'TOYS' on it. I also tried doing the embroidery around the edge of the flap. You can definitely tell that I don't work with the embroidery stitches too often. The placement of the edge embroidery is a little wonky and I sort of smooshed the curves out of whack on the flap. Learning curve!



I put the TOYS lettering on with fusible web. I free hand drew the letters, fused them to the flap and just did a straight stitch at the edges for an added detail.




Looks sooooo much better than the paper bag and all of the dogs immediately had to check it out!









- Posted by Steph from my iPad

Location:Lisle, IL

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear what you think about my projects!