Sunday, October 28, 2012

Silhouettes #195 Sweater Set by Peggy Sagers, revisited in lace!

Here is another top that I had planned in my fall/winter wardrobe. It is a stretch lace in grey/white/black colors highlighted with some metallic stitching.

If memory serves me correctly, I bought this a couple years ago at JoAnn's on super clearance sale. There was only a little over a yard but since it was a 60inch wide I decided to go for it.



This past year I took a couple classes at the Sewing and Quilt Expo on sewing knits and correct uses of different stabilizers. Those hands on classes came in use! I was able to pull my samples and notes and see exactly what I needed to do for the seams and hem finishes to get a good finish. It also helped that I also took a fitting class with Peggy Sagers that used this exact pattern and all the changes that could be done with it to make it very versatile.



Armed with all that information, I fearlessly attacked this project and in a matter of a couple of hours I had a new, stylish top. I have finally jumped on the lace bandwagon!



For the seams I fused strips of 1/2" knit stabilizer and basted using a walking foot and then did a 4 thread overlock. For the neckline and hems I fused a 1 1/2" knit stabilizer to the edge and folded it the right side over and used a narrow cover stitch. You can not even see the knit stabilizer strips anywhere, not even o the darts. It's a very nice technique and it gives the stitches something to sew on to since the lace is very open.


Since this nice stretch lace is very see-thru, I have to wear it with a camisole underneath. You can see it well in the very awkward over the shoulder into the mirror photo below!



In the meantime the weather is getting bad in Boston. However I think we will miss the most of Hurricane Sandy. A least I am keeping my fingers crossed!!

- Posted by Steph from my iPad

Location:Fish Pier St E,Boston,United States

No comments:

Post a Comment

comments, thoughts, idea? Please share!