|Princess and her new backpack in action!|
I purchased the PDF pattern and I also purchased a set of zippers for both sizes of the rucksack. I wasn't sure yet which one I was going to make so I got both. They came pretty quickly and Sarah included a lovely note and she included matching strap hardware. Which I unfortunately did not use n this version because the webbing I used was too thick.
|Backpack with the straps fully lengthened and on my dressform|
I took the Princess to Oak Fabrics (while there was still a Brick and Mortar to go to) and she picked out the fabrics. I gave her a choice of fabrics for the canvas outer fabric and she picked this lovely Japanese Nya Nya cat print by Cotton and Steel and for the lining a lovely Art Gallery I scream You Scream cotton print that was sublime to work with! One note, I did make the larger sized bag and the 44" width of fabric was not wide enough for only one of the pieces, the center panel, so for this I just pieced on a length to make it the appropriate size. I had to do this for both the outer canvas and the lining. SO if you have a fabric you love but it is not wide enough, no worries, easily overcome and the pieced seam is on the bottom of the bag! I ordered the webbing from a shop on Etsy. (of course any webbing that I had in my collection was the wrong size or color or not long enough!)
For this project I used: 1 yard of the canvas, 1 yard of lining, 1 1/2 yards of Pellon 809 interfacing, 2 orange plastic molded zippers. a 5 yard bundle of cotton covered nylon webbing, 2 rectangle rings and 2 slide adjusters in silver metal, 6 inches of 1/2inch elastic ,1 Kylie and the Machine 'You are Loved' label and 1 spool of orange gutterman thread. (I have just enough fabric left over to make a little matching wristlet or coin purse)
And then the project sat in a project box for months and months...
The holidays came and went and I was knee deep in another big project (the velvet jacket for my sister) and I wanted something else to work on. I had no sew-jo for myself, you know I had a serious case of decision paralysis! So I grabbed the project box and without too much thought started on the Raspberry Rucksack.
|This is the pop-up pocket on the front on the bag. This was the hardest part for me!|
With all the pieces cut, pieced and fused I started the construction. I used my new heavy duty home machine (not nearly heavy duty when compared to an industrial machine!) Janome HD3000BE.
I had a bit of a rocky start with the construction! Totally my error, the directions are clear plus there is a sewalong for this part, I just put the zipper right side up instead of zipper pull down... DOH!!!
As I noted in a past blog post my bestie Wendy helped me out and unpicked it for me. Once I stared again things went together pretty smoothly. Not being a bag maker there were a couple times that I was like how the heck is this all going to work???? I trusted in the process and followed the instructions and it all worked. Now with that said... some of my top stitching lines are not quite the best quality and that is Okay! I felt like I was wrestling a greased piggy under the foot sometimes! I'm just in awe of what the finished product is!! It is very roomy on the inside and with the zipper with double facing pulls it opens up nice and big.
|Bag opens up nice and big!|
I only made two changes to the design, The first was to add an outer water bottle/umbrella/doll pocket to the outside. I saw several other versions where people added interior pockets but I did not do this on this version for the Princess, She doesn't really have a need for that at this time in her life. For the water bottle pocket I made a pattern piece for an inverted pleat at the bottom to give it depth and at the top I put in elastic and the finished size it the same as the outer center panel. If I make another one I would lower the placement just a bit so the bottom of the pocket would rest at the bottom of the bag.
|The addition of the side water bottle pocket|
|View of the water bottle side pocket.|
|Snap tab to hold the handles together. I 'borrowed' this design from a backpack that I own.|
The straps are sewn on very carefully and it would take quite a bit for them to separate from the main part of the bag. Everything is very secure and the for this novice bagmaker the directions made it quite easy. The last thing that I did after checking the strap size on her was to spray the entire bag with a fabric protectant. Hopefully this will help prolong the life and keep it looking nicer longer.
|The straps are nice and log and easily adjustable. The handles feel good in your hands and I added a little 'you are loved' Kylie and the machine label to the front.|
All in all I call this project a resounding success! The Princess agrees and gave me a great big hug and Thank You for her new backpack. :)
|She loves it!! And I love her so totally worth all the work!|