I was and continue to be on the quest to find and fit a Tee that is a super breeze to put together and has only 3 pattern pieces; front, back and sleeves.
|Modified Easy V on left and Modified Concord on the right.|
This fabric is very thin and clingy.
The back of the modified V is just not good. lots of drag lines.
Enter in 2 new patterns:
1. Islanders Sewing Systems- Easy V express. This has an interesting neckline AND my main reason for using it was that we had a summer challenge (which sort of fizzled out) for the Haute Couture Club of Chicago to make the Easy V express. I'm always up for a challenge and the pattern was for sale at the HCCC June banquet. I always try to be a good group participant so I decided to play along.
|Close up of the neckline of the Easy V.|
Has a pleat that starts in back neckline and comes around to the front.
2. Cashmerette- Concord T-Shirt I purchased this pattern when it first came out. Mainly because I really wanted to be supportive of this Indie pattern company who designs for woman with curves! I liked the options for different lengths, sleeves and necklines.
|Easy V on left Concord on right|
Round 1: bad, so bad. So bad that I didn't even take pictures...
Let me start off by saying that I took my measurements and cut the corresponding size per the patterns charts and made my first mock-ups and they were both just awful. (Hence why I draft my own patterns from my master patterns.) The Easy V was way too big and boxy and the Concord strangely enough was too tight around the middle and weird across the upper chest.
Round 2: better but not perfect.
For the Easy V, I took my master knit pattern and grafted the neckline of the Easy V to it. Basically this meant it had a bust dart slightly different armhole and was narrower across the upper chest/shoulders. I basically kept the same back (due to the neckline construction) and just modified the back armhole slightly.
For the Concord, I basically just took my master sloper and used the neckline shape. SO a bust dart was added and armhole slightly changed. Plus I used my back master.
|Modified Easy V on left and Modified Concord on right|
Both now have a bust dart.
Somehow August has turned to December and I am now just thinking about this again. I just did not have enough interest at the time to push forward with it!
My final thoughts....
- this knit fabric, while cute, is just too thin for my likes and would be best suited for a very loose fitting garment or underneath layering pieces. (I've had it for years in my collection and glad I have finally used it)
- I like the scoop neck version with this fabric layered with a linen summer vest.
- There are no perfect patterns
- I have become a fitting snob
- I doubt I will ever make the Easy V again. I just dont like the way the neckline looks on me.
- I need to just go back to my master and play with necklines that I like.
- I really like the scoop neckline that I took off the Concord.
Happy Sewing and Happy Holiday Season to All!
|Celebrated my Son-in-Laws birthday with a lovely lunch|
and a performance of the Chicago Symphony Orchestra playing
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone. What a treat!!
Can't wait until the Princess is old enough to participate :)