Thursday, January 19, 2017

Hudson Pants Galore!

Time for a couple of catch-up posts from the end of 2016. The holidays always seem to get ahead of me and somehow make my time just disappear into thin air!
My little family all together in our Hudson pants PJ's!

I had mentioned that one of the projects that I did was to sew up 7 pairs of True Bias Hudson Pants. They were a perfect style of lounge/PJ pants that I wanted to make up for the family that was getting together for Christmas. If all had gone as planned we would have all been wearing our wonderful checked hudson pants as we opened stocking and gifts Christmas morning!

"Better late than never" read the note that I included with the Hudson pants that were mailed AFTER Christmas to my parents!
Getting everyone to smile and look at the camera at the same time was the hardest part! Blue was so curious as to what we were doing!! 

I choose the True Bias Hudson Pants for several reasons.
  • The come in womens, mens and mini sizes. So we could all match.
  • The style was what I was looking for. Cuffs, pockets, shaped legs, something more that just a straight leg baggy PJ pant.
  • I could have them printed at a copy shop. I detest PDF patterns that have to be taped together. I won't purchase them unless they have a copy shop option.
My experience with purchasing, getting the patterns printed and sewing these pants was an overall positive one! For $18 the local UPS shop right down the block from me printed up 2 copies of the woman's, 2 copies of the men's and 1 copy of the mini's. SO for a total of $46 I had the three patterns and multiple copies. Seeing that this was for Christmas gifts for 7 people I was more than good with that price!

The harder part was picking out fabric for everyone. My first choice was some ridiculously nice knit that went for $19.99 a yard. which would have come to just about $400 with shipping. HECK NO. Not for a pattern that I have never made and not knowing how the fit was going to be and if everyone would like the styling.

The adult pants. Each couple received a different colorway and all contrast fabric was in black knit.

 I choose to go with the buffalo check knits in cotton/spandex and came in several colorways from Girl Charlee fabrics. This came to a much more reasonable price of just under $180 with shipping.There are definite differences when you pay $7.99 for a yard of fabric versus $19.99. I was worried about the quality of the knit. It was perfect for what I wanted! A lightweight cotton knit that you could wear to bed and not get hot or wear around the house and be comfy. It washed and dried beautifully.

Princess Victoria got a color all of her own! I took the photo on my work table so you can see how small these are!These may have been the most technical to put together due to the small size. But, man oh man they are ADORABLE!!
 However, the print was off grain on all the pieces. Some way more than others, I was expecting this because you just don't get the same quality at that price. However, for the pants it hardly matters at all.I made sure to cut everything with the knit on grain and just ignore any pattern matching of the print. This worked great, only if you really study the pants do you start to notice it. However, in the top that I made for myself it is quite noticeable.

Here I am modeling my Hudson pants and Jen Stern The Tee. You can really see how off grain the print is on the gray portion of the top. It is not quite as noticeable on the pants but if you look hard enough you can see it. Like one of those 'magic' posters from the 80's!
The actual patterns are drafted quite well and I had no problem in construction. I made some slight adjustments for differences in height among us and of course the difference in sizes. I also changed the waistband a little bit. SInce these were for PJ's I did not see any reason for putting in the drawstring. Especially since whenever a drawstring comes undone I find them left on my to-do pile to get them restrung! So , no drawstrings on these. I also simplified the entire putting on of the waistband because I was making 7 pairs. I cut out the elastic to the size needed. Butted the ends and zigzagged with a scrap underneath for a flat join. I then marked the quarter marks on the elastic and on the waistband. sandwiched the elastic into the folded over waistband and serged it all on at once! I then did a vertical set of stitches across the waistband at CF, CB and each side seam to hold the elastic in place so it would not turn on itself. This way worked out quite well for me. It is not the easiest way to put in an elastic waistband but it is quick and looks quite good!
Love the details in this pattern!

I really like the pocket details and made my pocket binding, waistband and cuffs in a solid black for contrast. On my own pair I will make some slight adjustments to the pattern. Add to the rise in the front and back. the elastic wants t sit at my waist and is comfortable there but when you look at the pictures you can see that this is causing the fabric to pull in the front and back. Fine for PJ's because I don't even feel it with this light cotton spandex. However if I was to make a pair for outdoor or public use or in a thicker knit I will need to tweak the fit just a bit.

This past weekend my daughter, son-in-law and granddaughter were over. I declared that Sunday morning was going to be Hudson pant PJ morning and that after breakfast we would be taking a group picture! Everyone said they are comfortable and feel good. My husband will probable wear his once a year, he just does not wear knit pants, sweat pants or anything of that kind. The rest if us will get good use.
Silly family!!

Hopefully my parents are enjoying their pants as well! They got the red buffalo check versions.

Happy Sewing!



2 comments:

  1. Great job! Everybody looks great and very comfy (except for that guy on the far right who doesn't look too thrilled to be in the picture)!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful family and beautiful pajamas! In the group pictures you look like the cast of a new post-Friends romantic comedy about the next generation...The bias on your Jen Stern is great and even helps finesse the grain issue. Lovely!

    ReplyDelete

comments, thoughts, idea? Please share!