Friday, July 28, 2017

In the Sketchbook- July 2017

Welcome to In the Sketchbook, a monthly look at fashion design sketches that we are working on for ourselves. Sketching garments on a personal croquis is a great way for the individual couture enthusiast to move beyond the use of commercial patterns and into a world of personalized design! It can be intimidating at first, but with a little bit of practice it becomes something you look forward to. Join us for a look of what we have going on In the Sketchbook! Brought to you by Wendy Grossman of Couture Counsellor and Steph King from Siouxzeegirl Designs.


This month I want to show off a particular project. One that started as a series of sketches and eventually went through several iterations before I came up with my final sketch and dress!

I first started these sketches a full year ago! If you go back to my In the Sketchbook- July 2016 you can see the original post.



While I really like both of these ideas and still would like to make them someday, they just were not right for the fabrics. Every time I picked up the fabric and played with it I was so uninspired to turn them into either of these designs! 
So, I went back to the drawing board so to speak and continued sketching more ideas and I came up with this. This felt so much more inspired and less forced and more importantly it got me excited and I could not wait to get this beautiful design made into a garment. 




Here is the final garment! Stay tuned for a blog post on my adventures making this dress!


Make sure to stop by Wendy Grossman of Couture Counsellor to see what lovely sketches and ideas she is working on. Please feel free to share your sketches and ideas!

Happy Sketching!

1 comment:

comments, thoughts, idea? Please share!