He decided to go for a chair. His particular design is quite creative and converts from a foot rest/ottoman type to an actual chair. During the course of the class he periodically called me up to discuss fabric types, fabric design and possible things he was thinking of doing. It was very interesting to be a sounding board to help in his creative process! In the process I also learned several new things, like using and applying seat webbing to a chair base.
The final steps of the upholstery process required him bringing the chair home to my sewing room over the holiday break and actually doing the final upholstery work. I spent time, several days!, walking him through how to make a flat pattern from measurements, how to make a muslin, refining fit and design ideas and applying snaps.
The final outcome is quite nice! I am very proud of what he was able to accomplish. The chair will be in the final gallery show for the class next weekend.
- Posted by Steph from my iPad