Sunday, April 4, 2010

update on the 60's shirt

I have had some time to work on my shirt this weekend. My electronic sewing machine has a couple fancy stitches and I have almost never used them before. I decided that this shirt had a perfect use for one of them! I first made a test set of the embroidery stitches in the various colors and thread types that I was thinking of using.
I added the embroidery stitches (and really liked it) and then I basted in the sleeves and the side seams. I was a little worried about the sleeve circumference and I cut them slightly bigger. The line drawing and the fit of the garment did not really match and the sleeves were much more fitted than I would have liked for the style of the blouse that I was going for. Luckily for me, I almost always but too much fabric! So to the drawing board I went and re- drafted the sleeve pattern and now need to cut out a new set of sleeves.
All in all, I like the fit (except for the sleeves) and I like the versatility of this pattern.

Test embroidery, varying the design elements as well as color and thread type.

Sorry this is a little blurry... decided to go with the hot pink rayon thread in the flower stitch pattern. You can also see how the sleeves look very narrow.

The re-drafted sleeve. I slashed and spread, re-drew a center line, folded in the excess at the sleeve cap and re-drew the hem line straight. (hard to see in the picture)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear what you think about my projects!