Friday, July 20, 2012

Giving back by stash busting! And other things...

The news this morning is very sad. My prayers and thoughts go out to the families, loved ones and friends of those in Aurora, Colorado.

Now onto my regular scheduled blog....

In my last serger club one of the projects was making a project for Quilters Comforting Kids. ( this used to be the Illinois chapter of Quilts for Kids). I was immediately thinking what a great way to use some of those quilting cottons that I have been holding onto that I have no foreseeable future use for. I was actually thinking of donating the fabric but making something is even better! Unfortunately I really don't have the time to make a quilt but a smaller project is doable. The project I picked is saddle bags/ wheelchair bags/ walker bags. They measure about 15 x 27 and fold over and tie with pockets on either side and ribbon ties. A great evening project, a perfect way to give back and to make room for new fabric!!







I finished the placemat project with a runner/pad for each set. I did not have enough fabric to make a traditional matching centerpiece but I had plenty of scraps to work with. Using my serger I sewed all the scraps together, then cut them up and re-sewed several times until I liked what I saw. They somewhat resemble crazy quilting and the sharp angles play nicely off the prairie points on the placemats.



I really liked the idea of a round center piece by my table is just too small and only a narrow rectangle fits with placemats.



This week was a productive one for me. I was not traveling and my hubby was out of town so each evening I found myself playing on projects! I spent one evening working on more super secret wedding stuff and another evening saw me in the kitchen putting up my first batch of bread and butter pickles. Yummy!!!!!




Now for some random pics from the garden :)





- Posted by Steph from my iPad

Location:Lisle, IL

No comments:

Post a Comment

comments, thoughts, idea? Please share!