Tuesday, March 9, 2010

The quilt topper is done!

I have successfully completed the Art quilt topper. The border has been added and I choose to do mitered corners for the border fabric. On this particular quilt the mitered corners add the least amount of distraction from the pieced body. I just took my time, used some patience and all 4 came out beautifully.

I then spent a large amount of time on Sunday evening pinning the three layers together. The 3 layers are the topper, polyester batting and the back fabric. I like to do a safety pin basting on my small quilts. All I can say is that I must be getting old because my hands actually hurt on Monday after putting in the 100+ safety pins. And I even used the curved pins that are supposed to be more ergonomical and easier to put in place.

For my backing fabric I choose something out of my stash. It is a cotton dyed fabric. It gives it a little bit of interest.



The 3 layers pinned together, with part folded over to show the background.

Up close shot of the pins at the nicely mitered corner.

Next to be done is the actual quilting part, maybe I will start on that tonight.

2 comments:

  1. I love the gold/cloth fibers on the gold part. So cool and makes it really into an art piece for me. This quilt shows off your tremendous skills and creative ability, I can't wait to see it when it is finished!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know where you get the time to do everything you do. I'm lucky if I get to sew together two panels of the backing over a weekend. Looks nice. Good color scheme.

    ReplyDelete

comments, thoughts, idea? Please share!