Friday, February 2, 2018

In The Sketchbook- January 2018

Welcome to In the Sketchbook, a monthly look at fashion design sketches that we are working on for ourselves. Sketching garments on a personal croquis is a great way for the individual couture enthusiast to move beyond the use of commercial patterns and into a world of personalized design! It can be intimidating at first, but with a little bit of practice it becomes something you look forward to. Join us for a look of what we have going on In the Sketchbook! Brought to you by Wendy Grossman of Couture Counsellor and Steph King from Siouxzeegirl Designs.



I was so busy last week that it wasn’t until Monday that realized that the past Friday was indeed the last Friday of the month! A crazy start to the new year!

This year I have decided to try a different method of presenting my monthly sketches. I am going to take one base sketch and pick an element and play with just that element. In doing this, I am hoping to increase my skills at sketching the details. 

This month, I am playing with necklines on a princess line sheath dress.
I started with a previous sketch that I really like and then changed up the neckline quite a few times. In this iteration I have a total of 10 necklines to choose from.


This is my original sketch. Below you can see nine alternative necklines. I kept all that I sketched and did not try to make them perfect at this point. I used the tracing paper method. Just drew the neckline, head and torso portions that I could then overlay on the base sketch and play with. For all you digital people out there, this is basically a hand layering function.



Asymmetric large collar, High ruffled neckline, Modified V neckline


Deep U with mandarin collar, Giant collar, boat neck with cut in shoulders


Draped off the shoulder neckline, square neckline (unintentionally off!), Diamond cutout neckline.

Make sure to stop by Wendy Grossman of Couture Counsellor to see what lovely sketches and ideas she is working on. Please feel free to share your sketches and ideas with us.

Happy Sketching!






No comments:

Post a Comment

comments, thoughts, idea? Please share!