Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Serger Club and a little of this and that

Updating my blog as I sit at my gate waiting for my flight. This is going to be a very busy workweek, so I figured I'd make good use of my time.

A couple weeks ago I joined 'serger club' at Linda Z's shop where I bought both my Babylock Symphony and Evolution. It meets the second Monday of every month and you can go during the day or in the evening. The day of the week and the choice of times works perfect for my crazy work schedule. As a rule, I try to not travel on Monday's.

I figured that since I now am the owner of the best serger on the market, as well as the easiest to use, I could use some inspiration. The club is run in a 2 hour format with a break in the middle. The first hour is a project. The instructor is up front on an evolution and she does a project from start to end along with a handout. They also have a very large screen TV over her with a video camera close up on the serger so you can really see what she is doing. Yesterday's project was an ironing board cover.

Then a 15 min break for chatting and shopping. Then back for another hour that consists of show and tell. And then some technique work and Q&A session. I think one of my favorite parts was the show and tell! It was fun to see what everyone else was working on and things that they have done as well as get brainstorming ideas from others. I liked it!

I also learned that every other month they have a specialty class for using specialty feet on the Evolution. For Evolution owners only. I signed up for the one in May and July. I have about 8 feet with my serger and have only ever used 2. This class is a technique only class and I like that very much. I'm not much for doing hands on project classes, I like to do things on my own.

Speaking of doing things on my own.... Here is a picture of my works in progress sitting on my dress form at home. Having fun!










I have also finally cut out a bunch of hexagon pieces for my English paper piecing project. I am calling this my traveling project since it is done entirely by hand. A great way for me to bring a project along with me while I travel for work. It will be interesting to see what I have done by the time I get home on Friday.

Last but not least... I am going to miss the premier of Fashion Star on NBC! I'll be I an airplane. Booh. Hopefully I will be able to watch it online tomorrow.

Is anyone else planning on watching?





- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

Location:Chicago O'Hare airport

No comments:

Post a Comment

comments, thoughts, idea? Please share!