Monday, January 30, 2012

A Home Dec Project: Mail Organizer

It seems like I haven't gotten to any fashion sewing in a very long time! That will have to change :)

With my daughter moving back in and our little home being tight on space we really had the need for a mail organizer. I looked about at some at the office store and they were just all so blah and ugly.

I decided to make my own to hang on the wall just inside my sewing room from the front foyer. The space is perfect for it, the key rack is next to it and the dog leashes hang below.



I based my design loosely off a project in the book One Yard Wonders and from an article in the UK sewing/crafting magazine Making.

It measures 23 inches high by 13 inches wide and each of the 3 mail pockets measure 6 inches high and 13 inches wide. I added grommets to the top for hanging.



The base/backing is stabilized with a piece of peltex and heavy duty iron on interfacing. Each pocket is stabilized with heavy duty interfacing.



When i sewed the pockets on I pushed in the seam at the top opening by 1/2 inch to create a little pleat for rom for the mail.

Since this fabric is busy already with lots of neat details printed on it, I decided to leave the embellishments to a minimum and just did a gold leaf foil initial for each of the three pockets. This way we all know whose mails goes where!






Keeping my fingers crossed that this nifty addition keeps the mail from ending up all over the house :)



- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

1 comment:

comments, thoughts, idea? Please share!