Thursday, April 29, 2010

Sweet Harmony

This is the latest project on my sewing room table. AmyButler's Sweet Harmony Handbag and Tote pattern along with some Amy Butler fabrics that I bought at the sewing expo last fall. I bought fabric for 2 so I figure I may as well make 2 from the start. The only problem with making 2 is that there are a gazillion pieces! No, I am not kidding you. Between the exterior fabric, lining fabric, fusible fleece, fusible stabilizer and the peltex... I probably spent a total of 5 hours cutting in 3 different sessions.

All of the pattern pieces!
All the fabric, except for the striped one on the right, are from Amy Butlers collections.
Today (since I am home sick with a nasty spring virus) I decided to do all the fusing. I spent 2.5 hours at the ironing board. Every piece had at the minimum a layer of Pellon decor bond interfacing. All off the exterior pieces first had a layer of fusible fleece and then the Pellon decor bond over it.

large pile of Pellon decor bond and fusible interfacing and the curling stiff stuff on top is the peltex.

The bottom piece was the best. From out side in, it has: fashion fabric- Fusible fleece- Pellon decor bond- 2 layers of Peltex- Pellon deco bond. Everything layered and fused into a big ole sandwich. Sure will make for a stable bottom!
The pattern instructions are written quite thoroughly however it would be better to have more illustrations. I found myself having to read and re-read the instructions several times over to make sure I had it correct. Where as a simple addition of an illustration would have made things a bit faster.


The bottom pieces. on the far right is the initial sandwich of fashion fabric, fusible fleece and decor bond being added to that is the middle 2 layers of peltex, sewn together, and then held in place by the Pellon decor bond on the left. (the shiny part is the fusible stuff)
Below: is the entire thing all sandwiched together!



I am not sure that I want to attempt any sewing construction while I am taking the cold meds... I have that nice foggy head cold medication feeling going on! Although... how often do I just get time in the house :) Guess I will just have to wait and see how I feel.

2 comments:

  1. Those are gorgeous color combinations...can't wait to see them finished! I tend to cheat when I sew...I don't do all the extra fusible padding and Peltex (which I've never heard of)...I give you alot of credit. They are going to be beautiful. I agree with you about needing to see illustrations.
    Hope you feel better!!
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait to see them finished. I so love bags! Here is an interesting blog I found...
    http://athreadfromtheedge.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

comments, thoughts, idea? Please share!