Friday, February 4, 2022

Mini Lounge Collection! Keeping Cozy this long winter - Part 2

I am back with part 2 on my mini cozy, comfy collection! This blog post I will tell you about the two tops that I made to go with the matching jogger and hoodie.

Boat Neck Tee

Easy Fit and Sew Tank
The tank top is from Jen Stern and is the Easy fit and sew tank top, view A. This tank has a great size range from 2XS to 5XL Bust from 34” to 58” and hip from 36” to 60”. 

The boat neck short sleeve tee is self drafted and the boat neck portion was developed from a Sarah Veblen zoom class on boat necks. Size range- just me!

The Jen Stern tank is my TNT tank top pattern. I have made a couple changes to the pattern over time. Little tweaks here and there. The 2 biggest changes were to lower the underarm 3/8 inch with a little tweak to the back armhole shape and adding about 3/8 inch across the width in the back at the level of mid armhole. I did this because on the first ones my bra strap was peeking out  and i just needed a smidge more fabric. I like that the neckline and armholes are finished with a band. My favorite method of finishing and the neckline is such a nice U shape. Very flattering on me. 

For this specific tank, I had to piece the back together. I originally was planning to make a long sleeved knit t-shirt but since I changed the design to short sleeves, I was blue to eek out both tops but had to do a smidge of piecing. I think it looks very intentional and could be fun for a color blocked version or maybe make that top part out of a fun mesh knit.

The Tee shirt is my self drafted tee with a boat neck that I drafted after taking a zoom class with Sarah Veblen. I never thought that a real boat neck would look good on me and it was a fun exercise last year to develop this neckline on my master knit bodice pattern.



The Fabric is a limeade solid knit is an Oeko-Tex Viscose/Spandex 4 way knit jersey. It is quite a nice knit that feels soft but substantial. It washed and dried nicely and was very easy to sew.

The only interfacings/stabilizers that I used in both tops was to stabilize the very narrow shoulder seams of both tops with SewkeysE Extremely fine fusible 1/2” woven stay tape. 

No other notions except for more fun Kylie and the Machine labels were used.

The construction was done on both the sewing machine and the serger. The shoulder seams were done on the sewing machine with a straight stitch and the side seams, sleeve insertion on the tee and band applications on the tank were done with a 4 thread serger.

To finish the neckline and sleeve hem on the tee I used a serpentine stitch. Very pretty and a little bit of stretch to accommodate the fabric. The hem was done with just a straight stitch with a lowered presser foot pressure to keep the fabric from slipping.

Boat neck Tee details

For the hem finish on the tank I tried something new. I did a blind hem stitch on the serger using a blind hem foot. I am not sure if it was done correctly but I like the outcome! It  gives the tank the effect of having a banded hem finish without the work of attaching a band. A technique to keep in mind for future makes. 

Tank top details

These two tops were quick and easy to make, even with trying a new hem method on the tank. I like taking the time now and then to try a new method, you never know when you will learn a new and better way. 

Happy Sewing!! 

We enjoyed a snow day in Chicago this week. Me, my daughter,  the Princess and the mini-princess all put on the snow gear went to the local park and played in the snow! It was just so much fun!!! I felt like a kid again making snow angels and playing in the snow :)




No comments:

Post a Comment

comments, thoughts, idea? Please share!