Wednesday, January 5, 2022

Happy 2022! Roscoe Blouse and Tunic

 Welcome 2022! 

Well, I made it through another year of craziness and pandemic and changes and well, just life! On top of that I feel good about it. Feel good about the place I am in physically and mentally even though things can be hard, they are also quite wonderful.

I did not do so great at blogging in 2021. I wanted to, I really did but life was just so big last year with so many things that I needed to attend to and blogging got put to the side. A decision that I was totally okay with. 

I did continue to sew and shared quite a few of my garments and creations on IG. As 2021 was coming to a close I realized that I was starting to miss blogging, a good sign that it was time to start thinking about picking it up again.

And here I am! Once again rambling on and on. 

I ended 2021 with a Roscoe Blouse and started 2022 with a Roscoe Tunic.  I have had the True Bias Roscoe on my wish list for quite a while and finally bought the PDF version and had it printed large format sometime during the past 6 months (timelines in the pandemic are just a bit fuzzy) 





Years and years ago I had a super cute peasant blouse and I always wanted to recreate the look. I just either never got around to it and every time I tried one on in RTW it was just a hot mess. Too much fabric in the wrong places, not enough in the right places and never in the colors or prints that I liked. So, this year I finally got back to it and I am happy that I did!

I used my iPad and my body model croquis  to do some sketching. I like this part of the creative process. I use the procreate app and use it at its most basic level. One of these days I will learn more about it. I’m sure there are tools in there that will make my life easier. 




For the first version, the blouse, I cut the size according to the pattern recommendations which put me at a size 12. I made a muslin using some recycled old garments. I am glad I did because there was way, way too much fabric at the front raglan sleeve seam. It was a bit shapeless. I released this seam and let the “extra” fabric from the upper front chest slide under the sleeve seam and reshaped this seam. An easy fix to do and made a big difference. 








The fabric used for this first version was purchased from a New Rainbow Fabrics that is local to me in Chicago. So local that it is just an easy 1 mile walk! I really liked this print. It is a little bit out of my normal palette with the pastel parts. Plus it was a stretch polyester chiffon, so really out of my normal fabric choice. But, something about it just grabbed me and at $9.99 a yard I figured I could take a chance. Boy am I glad I did!! This is NOT like some other polys I have used in the last from the big box stores. It cut sewed and pressed like a dream. I was so dang surprised! 

With this version done I decided to immediately move to another version with a couple changes. 

The size 12 I cut for the blouse is quite roomy and if I was going to make a tunic I didn’t want that much extra fabric. This time I cut it down to the smallest size plus maintained the seam shape of the front raglan sleeve. I was still worried about feeling overwhelmed by too much fabric. I had seen on some IG pictures and other blogs where people added waist elastic to give it more shape so I sketched this out and marked the waist on the pattern.

In addition I wanted the sleeves to be full length, a little fuller and elasticize at the wrist. For this I lengthened 3 1/2 inches then slashed and spread in 4 places adding in a total of 4 additional inches. 


I thought this was not exactly the look I was going for but it would be a good save if the tunic was still too voluminous and needing shape. So I cut into my fabric, a rayon print from Closet Core Fabrics in a graphic 60’s vintage print. I knew from using this fabric before, in a different colorway, that I had to cut it single layer. A very squirrelly fabric! 











As you can see in the above photos, changing to the smallest size worked out great!! No need for elastic at the waist, no feeling like I am wearing a sack! This Tunic made me happy and the colors were great. I immediately went to my fabric closet and found the perfect color knit for leggings and sewed up a pair of Helen’s Closet Avery Leggings. Sorry only bad mirror selfies!! 



Now I am very happy with this outfit!!!

For a special treat to myself I purchased the Kylie and the Machine advent calendar. it was a blast to open every morning. I used some of my new labels in these tops.




A perfect sewing end of 2021 and start to 2022! What’s next? Well, I have a list, a looong list,  that I want  to work off of that I am calling my Green wardrobe plus sewing a wardrobe for a fall trip to Morocco plus anything else that takes my fancy in between! I want to work on some harder more detailed projects interspersed with some easier ones. 

I am fully enjoying my sewing and designing again and ready to share it again.

Happy Sewing!

Princess Victoria showing off her Grinch apron made with lots of love!!



6 comments:

  1. Really cute, both your tops, the apron, and the smiles on the apron wearer

    ReplyDelete
  2. what lovely garments, you've really made that pattern work for you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank You! Yes, I did and I’m glad I took the time for a muslin test.

      Delete
  3. So great to see you back and looking so fabulous! Love the fabrics and patterns!
    I’m feeling inspired!

    ReplyDelete

comments, thoughts, idea? Please share!