Friday, March 30, 2018

In The Sketchbook-March 2018

Welcome to In the Sketchbook, a monthly look at fashion design sketches that we are working on for ourselves. Sketching garments on a personal croquis is a great way for the individual couture enthusiast to move beyond the use of commercial patterns and into a world of personalized design! It can be intimidating at first, but with a little bit of practice it becomes something you look forward to. Join us for a look of what we have going on In the Sketchbook! Brought to you by Wendy Grossman of Couture Counsellor and Steph King from Siouxzeegirl Designs.



A little bit of deviation this month. Instead of garment detail I have focused on sketches of using 2 fabrics. A blue silk charmeuse and a guipure lace in different color blues and white flowers.
These were originally sketched as inspirations for an outfit for a spring wedding that I am attending. However, that date is rapidly approaching and I haven't even started! The second part of this challenge is that nice guipure lace is expensive and I only have 1 yard of this lace. It is wide enough to be cut in half lengthwise so could maybe eek out an all lace dress. Maybe... but then that is an expected use! I have plenty of the navy silk charmeuse.

The 'challenge' for the ASG- Chicago chapter annual luncheon and fashion show is Lace. This will fit right into that challenge!

I have included ALL of the sketches that I did... even the ones that I don't like. Sketching for a design is a process and that design process also includes things that make you raise your eyebrows and go no, nooo, nooooo! Sometimes you sketch something and you think wow! I would have never thought I would like that and you really do.
For each sketch I have just added a comment of YES, NO or Maybe which indicates my like/dislike for each sketch.
The guipure lace, silk charmeuse is under it and really makes the lighter blues and whites pop!.


Sketch 1: Maybe

Sketch 2: NO, NO, NO

Sketch 3: YES

Sketch 4: YES

Sketch 5: Strong Maybe...
 Needs some work to look less like a cheap party sash across the chest.

Sketch 6: YES

Sketch 7: No, too expected
Sketch 8: doesn't really count since I never got to adding in the lace
 because I really fell in love with the simplicity and clean lines of silk culottes and a bias drape top!
Make sure to stop by Wendy Grossman of Couture Counsellor to see what lovely sketches and ideas she is working on. Please feel free to share your sketches and ideas with us.

Happy Sketching!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

comments, thoughts, idea? Please share!