Monday, November 11, 2013

Anita Goodesign Mix and match Quilt, Baby Play Mat

I did finish up a project this weekend, a quilt that I made on my embroidery machine using Anita Goodesign embroidery mix and Match quilting. The design was mostly from Cats and Dogs, although in this quilt I used only cats.

The weather is so dark and crappy out that my pictures are not the best... Even the skylights have snow on them so not much natural light! And apparently I even had a hard time taking straight pictures!

I am giving this gift as a 'Playmat' for my new niece that is due any moment now!! So exciting. Once I know her name I will add a label to it. This is going to be one spoiled little girl because I'm also in the midst of making her a quilt as well. I'm lucky to have a few more weeks yet to work on her gifts, I won't meet her until the holidays. 

I know, I know, aren't they both technically quilts? Yes, they are. However, the embroidery on this one makes it a little more stiff and not so soft and quilty like I think a baby quilt should be! Besides every little baby needs a playmat for the floor and this colorful quilt will be the perfect thing!

I had a lot of fun making this quilt, it was quite a departure from normal quilt making! All of the blocks are done in the hoop on the embroidery machine with a layer of batting and then you sew them together on your regular machine to complete the top. I added a second layer of batting and then the backing and binding. To 'quilt' the sandwich together I just stitched in the ditch of the blocks. Hence the squared quilted back.


This week I have only an overnight work trip! So I'm hoping all goes smoothly and I can have the bed/crib quilt done this week as well :) and hopefully my niece will make an appearance soon!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

comments, thoughts, idea? Please share!