Friday, January 18, 2013

A little hand beading... What do I do with it now???

Last week, while my sewing studio was being used as a upholstery room, I took the time to work on some hand beading.

I took a class on hand beading back in November and finally had the time to play with the skills I learned.

Working on two very different projects gave me time to perfect the basics.

The first project was one that was a must to get done. This one is part of the wedding sewing. I must say I am glad to get it done and check that project off my list! It came out beautiful and my dd is extremely happy with how it turned out. This is a piece that she purchased. However, it was just not quite right.the color palette was too cool and it needed to be warmed up.

I first did a bit of deconstruction and then using some faux pearls I reworked the design and spent a couple hours one evening sewing the new beads on. The look is transformed, my daughter is so very happy, and i got to practice my hand beading basics! win-win all around!! I can't wait to show you the piece in use... You will have to wait until the wedding in July! (Hence the reason why the photo's are close ups and don't show the bigger detail)

This is the before photo



This is the after... No more gunmetal and now beautiful warm pearls.



This next one is the project that I have no idea what to do with!

The second project is one that I am very much enjoying and letting my creative process take over. It was very exciting to see what I came up with as I was stitching the beads on. I have a few spots left that i would like to still add beads to but am trying to figure out what the final project will be! The design is screen printed onto a piece of upholstery weight silk and measures about 5x7.





Close up detail


This truly is a works in progress because, while the beading portion may be almost finished, I still have no concrete plans for what the final project will be. I have some ideas...
- an evening purse using a metal snap frame. (Worried that the heavier weight of the fabric will make it difficult to set in the frame)
- an evening clutch (I have a big enough piece to do it all out of this ivory silk or could use some blue silk dupioni or tussah as part)
- worked into the design of a bigger hand bag
- a framed piece of art to hang on the wall
- a small boudoir pillow (my room is not in blues and I have plenty of other 'stuff' already in it!)
- incorporated into a piece of clothing like a vest or jacket. (Worried about the fabric weight difference)

As you can see I really have no idea! And I don't want it to just sit in a cupboard in my sewing room hiding for all it's life because I can't figure out what to do with it, too pretty for that!

Any body have any ideas?





- Posted by Steph from my iPad

Location:Lisle, IL

2 comments:

  1. I like the idea of framing it, as a momento of your beautiful work. Though, the evening clutch would be stunning as well! Hard decision. And just love the pearl beading - this is going to be stunning...J

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the thoughts...J . I am leaning more towards a framed piece of beautiful art! Then I can enjoy it all the time.

      Delete

comments, thoughts, idea? Please share!