Wednesday, January 6, 2010

A birthday gift for my Dad

The frost on my den window
I am working on a new project. It is a birthday gift for my Dad :) I don't think that I have ever sewn him an item of clothing before. Maybe always thinking that I was not quite good enough or doubting my abilities. However, lately I seem to have majorly thrown all of those issues over my shoulder and am just enjoying myself and my creative time.

It is a short sleeve Hawaiian style shirt with vents at the side so it can be left out or tucked in. The fabric was one from my stash that I bought several years ago because I just liked it. I had just enough fabric for the shirt. Not enough to fussy cut and match all the seams but I was able to match the breast pocket quite nicely.

The pocket is on, the collar is made but not attached and the front and backs are together at the shoulders. I did not have my Dad's measurements but I know he wears a size large in RTW. After a search on patternreview.com I found that most people felt this ran true to size of RTW. So I am keeping my fingers crossed that it will fit well. It should since it is a pretty basic shirt and not a fitted shape.

Pattern: McCalls 2149

The fabric with my 2 choices of buttons...
ivory or orange???



The pocket, matched pretty nicely!



Sewing helper #1: Chloe
she is the good one, stays on the other side of the cutting table and out of the way.



Sewing helper #2: Baby Blue
Always having to lay down right under me!
75 lbs of hound dog always in my way :)

MOM... don't show Dad!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

comments, thoughts, idea? Please share!