Sunday, October 4, 2009

2 new fall shirts

After a bittersweet week spent in NJ (bitter because my 'Babi' passed away and sweet because I spent time with my family) I needed some creative me time in the sewing room.
I was a little bad when I was with my family and went out with the girls for some retail therapy, well retail therapy and to get something for my sister to wear to the services. I broke my vow and bought 2 shirts and a pair of black pants... I know it was bad of me, but it was the first time I have gone to a clothes store in a 4 or 5 months. (except for horse riding breeches!)

Anyway... I have been trying very hard to use up my never ending stash of fabric... which just keeps on growing thanks to donations from my mom!

The first shirt is a striped knit with a little bit of 'sparkle' in it. Perfect for the current metallic trends. It has 3/4 length sleeves a fitted body and a crossover piping detail at the neckline which adds some interest.


The second shirt is made from a semi sheer fabric with some nice drape that has also been in my stash for a while. I just could not think of what to make with it with those large bands of color. No matter what I draped in horizontal or vertical I was just not pleased at all. Then I had one of those 'ah-ha' moments and cut the fabric on the bias and I really like the look of it and how it hangs. I kept the neckline, and hem finishes simple using a dark blue woolly nylon in my serger and making a rolled hem. A combination of the bias cut and semi-boat neck allowed me to leave off any neckline closures for a nick sleek and clean look. The sleeves are 3/4 length and slightly flared.
I must admit that I was not expecting this shirt to turn out as well as it did. Between the decision to cut everything on the bias along with the slippery nature of the fabric I was preparing myself to trash it if necessary. I just took my time, used lots of pins and my serger on the entire thing and it came out just fabulous!




Next on the agenda is my Halloween costume (a pink 50's poodle skirt) and then on to some mending and hemmimg, then maybe a re-fashion or two if I am inspired before back to the fabric stash! I am really wanting to try a pair of pants...

No comments:

Post a Comment

comments, thoughts, idea? Please share!