Tuesday, June 5, 2018

Catching up! Sewing for others

Somehow the last month has passed in a blink of an eye! Life has been crazy busy with work and family and just needing some time to maintain a healthy me. Sewing has been happening! however, not as much as I would like and I have not been as good about capturing the in-progress details.

Earlier this year I did some sewing for family members. My siblings had been randomly droping hints about me sewing them something. It is hard to make clothing for them since none of live anywhere near each other!
My older sister, Jennifer, is in Mississippi.
My older brother, Gene, and his wife, Jackie, are in New Jersey
My younger brother Willie, and his wife, Lide, are in the Netherlands.

So, its not like I can just pop in and take measurements or do a quick fitting!

Long story short, 2 of them causally mentioned needing aprons over the past year so I decided to make them all aprons for their respective birthdays!

The ladies aprons are modified Gathered-to-Fit apron by Indygo Junction. I think I picked this up at a pattern exchange at some point. Its a nice pattern. My modifications were to fully line it and basically stitch a channel for the ties. It is very cute, easy to make and no fitting required. I also made an apron for Melissa out of the retro pool scene. I just forgot to take a picture!

My awesome sister, Jennifer, sporting her new apron!

Details of my sisters apron. Fabric out of my collection.

Details of my S-I-L Lide's apron. She's an archaeologist so these cool skulls were very appropriate!
Both fabrics from The Quilters Trunk.


This was is for my S-I-L, Jackie, in New Jersey. This great retro print and the lining were both from Fishman's Fabrics and have been in my collection for quite a few years. SO glad I found the perfect use for it!


 The guys aprons are from Simplicity 1512, an out of print pattern that I have had for quite a while. However a quick google search shows that you can easily find copies of it. The only modification that I have made to this is again to line it. I just feel that a single layer of fabric is not beefy enough to support the large pockets and if you happen to splash 'stuff' on you then a single layer may not give you the best protection!
Not the best view of my little brother in his apron. I loves that his apron matched his jammies!

My older brother, Gene, showing off his apron! Both of my brothers really like to grill and BBQ and I was able to use my seldom used embroidery machine to add some fun personalization to their grilling aprons.


Now... here is something to make you chuckle... I made all of those aprons all in one go and the only person that still does NOT have an apron is ME! How ironic is that??

Happy Sewing! More to catch up on soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment

comments, thoughts, idea? Please share!