Monday, January 5, 2015

RTW Fast 2014 & 2015, MAGAM group and New goals for 2015

I have decided to join the 2015 RTW fast!

My 2014 experience with the RTW fast was a great one! Thanks to Sarah from Goodbye Valentino for hosting the RTW fasters!

For the entire year I only purchased the following:
- new bras and panties 
- several pairs of stockings and tights
- one t-shirt for a Team Challenge

I also received a t-shirt and a Blackhawks sweater from my husband.
The only other RTW clothing that I bought was for gifts and those were minimal.

THAT'S IT!!!! And to me that is so amazing!!!

As a consequence of my RTW fast I have learned several things. Some of the are about sewing and some of them are about myself.

1. I learned that I DO NOT need a giant wardrobe that is stuffed into my closet and drawers. It is OK and actually feels good to have a smaller wardrobe! I wear self made items every single day and it feels good!

2. I have also learned to step out of my comfort zone and wear a more diverse portfolio of items. Not just always grab the same uniform, and having room in my closet means that I can actually SEE what I have!

3. Doing this RTW fast has improved my sewing skills and my sewing confidence! 

4. All the money I SAVED on not buying RTW, I totally SPENT on fabric!!!! I have a very well rounded stash :) 

As I stated above, I have joined the 2015 RTW fasters group and look forward to seeing what everyone makes and posts on Facebook!

I have also joined the MAGAM (make a garment a month) group which is also now being hosted on Facebook. I have followed the group in the past but having the group on as a bloggers was not easy. Having the group hosted on a private Facebook page is great! As soon as they made the switch, I joined! 
The idea behind MAGAM is that each member posts a plan for a project to be made that month. Showing the fabric and pattern and following along with a theme and when you complete the garment you do a follow up post and a link to your blog. If you don't like the theme then you do something else! Easy peasy! For me, I plan to use this as a plan for a more complex or difficult garment that I want to complete.
For example, January's theme is 'something new'. I choose a new pattern for a wedding guest dress that I need to make for a wedding on a Cruise in February that I am attending.
Pattern is OOP Butterick 6739 and fabric is a crinkled spun rayon from FabricMart.


So far that means that for 2015 I have the RTW fast and MAGAM groups.
What other goals do I have?

Well.....
1. No new patterns. None. I'm fairly sure that I either have or can modify what I have to make anything!
2. No new fabric for 6 months. ** excludes need of interlining/linings. I thought about doing a full year fabric fast but I cannot. 6 months is perfect it will let me make room for more come the end of June! It will be like Christmas in summer for me ;)
3. Quilting, more traditional quilting that is. I have dabbled here and there in very free form no rules allowed quilting but I have been feeling that I wanted to try something a little more traditional. Just once and see how I like it. To accomplish this I Joined a mystery quilt along! More on this in a later post.
4. PANTS! PANTS! PANTS! Yes, I have accomplished jeans but now I really need to accomplish both trousers for work and play in other styles. I have been toying with the idea of trying to make a pair of pants/trousers/jeans/shorts every month. That would mean 12 pant like bottoms over a year. Seeing that right now I only own 2 pairs of jeans, I pair of courdoroys, 2 pairs of Capri pants I can REALLY, REALLY use them. 5 pairs of pants in my entire wardrobe (not counting pajama pants and workout pants) is not enough!

Short term, I am finishing up my winter sewing plan. Funny enough the biggest to-do left on that list is pants! LOL! 

What are your goals for 2015? 

Flowers from my birthday! My hubby sent these to me and left them right on my sewing workable! It was a great place to have them :) made me smile a thousand times in the last week!

Parting shot of Princess V at 6 months :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment

comments, thoughts, idea? Please share!